Lazy Vegan Halupkies

This recipe was so simple I wonder why I didn't slap it together sooner. Halupkies have always been a family tradition- beef, pork & bacon with white rice & onions wrapped in cabbage leaves cooked in homemade tomato sauce.  Since changing the way we ate a few years ago and started eating less meat (expense for clean meat & healthier) I haven't made them. I love creating new family favorite recipes meat free (my husband doesn't always get excited since I call steak night cauliflower steak night now) but they do enjoy the new family favorites and laugh and joke about the new adventure.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
  • 6 garlic cloves grated
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 1 cups red lentils
  • 1 can of  black beans (I used dried soaked them for 2 hours and cooked them 25 mins then threw in) 
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tbsp of veg bullion
  • 1 tbsp of Miso
  • 1 bag of Organic Brown rice (I used freezer pouch and threw in last minute)
  • 1 bag of organic Coleslaw mix if your really lazy or 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 small jar organic sauerkraut, drained
  • 1 28oz can organic crushed tomatoes
  • 1 280z can organic diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 cup water
  •  salt
  •  pepper
  •  paprika

1- Carmelize the onions in the EXVO, add the garlic and saute.
2- Add the miso & veg bullion to the 2 cups HOT water till they dissolves.
3- Add everything (but rice) into the slow cooker, set on low for 6 hours.
4- add precooked Brown rice at the end, salt and pepper to taste!